RECIPE BY SEYRAN FROM @legallyplantbased
Air-fryer Falafel--Golden & crispy on the outside and fluffy, moist & vibrant green on the inside.
Makes about 20 falafels
- 500 g soaked chickpeas (not cooked), well drained (pat dry if needed)
- 1 yellow onion, quartered
- 1 packed cup parsley
- 3/4 packed cup coriander
- 2 tbsp chickpea flour
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp chili powder (more or less to taste)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt (more or less to taste)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Rapeseed oil for coating
Lemon Tahini Sauce
- 4 tbsp runny tahini
- 4 tbsp water
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- salt to taste
- Minced garlic or garlic powder (optional)
Tangy Sumac Onions
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced with mandolin
- 1/2 tbsp sumac
- Process all ingredients for the falafel, except for the baking powder, in food processor. Mix/pulse until everything is well combined and you have a grainy dough like mixture but it shouldn’t bee smooth. The chickpeas should still be grainy.
- Place the mixture in the fridge for at least 1 hour, if too soft add an other tbsp of chickpea flour. Mix in the baking powder and form little balls with your hands (golfball sized). Pour some rapeseed oil in a small bowl and dip each ball in the bowl and make sure they are well coated with the oil.
- Air-fry in batches for 10 minutes at 200 C / 400 F, alternatively shallow fry in a pan.
- For the dressing, whisk together the following until smooth, adjust with more water/tahini for preferred texture.
- For Tangy Sumac Onions, mix everything in a bowl.
- Serve with pita bread, lemon tahini sauce, sumac onions, cucumber, tomatoes, mixed pickles and fresh parsley.