RECIPE BY HANNAH SUNDERANI FROM @TWOSPOONS.CA
Trust us when we say that this taste so much better than store-bought enchilada sauce! If enchilada is in your weekly menu at home, we recommend that you try this easy and tasty recipe!
- 3 tbsp neutral tasting oil
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour or gluten-free flour
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper flakes
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tsp vegetable broth
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Measure out all your dry ingredients, as well as tomato paste and veg broth. The recipe comes together quickly, so have them close by.
- Heat oil in a medium-sized saucepan on high. Once hot (i.e. the surface is shimmering) whisk in all-purpose flour and spice mixture. Continue whisking to combine, until thick and fragrant. Then add tomato paste.
- Slowly splash in vegetable broth. Continue whisking to form a smooth liquid. Bring sauce to a low simmer and cook for 5 to 10 mins, or until thick and saucy. (Consistency should be thick, like ketchup). Splash in apple cider vinegar and stir to combine. Remove from heat and use to make your favourite enchilada dishes.
Hannah Sunderani is the plant-based food blogger behind Two Spoons, where she creates recipes worth sharing! She is an editor @thefeedfeed and contributor to @bestofvegan. Her recipes are intended for all eaters, from the vegan skeptic to the vegan veteran to show just how delicious plant-based eating can be.