RECIPE BY ZULIYA FROM@NATURALLYZUZU
Pearl Barley Soup (Kocha Suyugh Osh) -- A wholesome and delicious and packed with so many nutrients.
Uzbek Pearl Barley Soup
- 1 cup Pearl barley (rinsed)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 med carrots carrot, grated or diced
- 1 onion medium, chopped
- 2 tsp of tomato paste
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen or fresh green peas (or use mixed frozen veggies)
- 1/2 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels
- 4 cups vegetable broth or stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup of water
- 1 can of red kidney beans, drained.
- 1 cup of spinach or kale (optional)
- 2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp of Vegan sour cream optional for serving
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over a high heat and sauté chopped onion until onions are soft and transparent. Add the carrots, garlic, tomato paste, bay leave, and sauté for about 5 min.
- Add the frozen or fresh green peas and corn and sauté everything for another 8 min. Add the vegetable broth and water and bring it to boil. Add the Pearl barley, potatoes, and red kidney beans and bring the soup to a slow boil.
- Simmer the soup for 30-40 min or until Pearl barley is fully cooked. If soup becomes too thick, add another one cup of water. Add the the spinach to soup and simmer for another 10 min.
- Adjust the seasoning to your liking. Serve the soup with vegan sour cream, a wedge of lime and warm flat bread.