RECIPE BY ALEXANDRA PASKA OF@PLANTBASED.TRAVELER
Tuscan Kale and White Bean Soup with Garlic Parmesan Croutons--A hearty soup always hits the spot! This is incredibly flavorful and delicious!
- 6 large Tuscan kale leaves, stemmed and roughly chopped
- 2 cups cannellini beans, cooked and rinsed
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 carrot
- 1-2 celery stalks
- 1 14 oz can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp dried thyme and rosemary each
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 1/2 cup water
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Day old crusty Tuscan (or sourdough) bread, cut into large cubes
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, lightly smashed
- Vegan parmesan
- Finely dice onion, carrot, celery, and mince garlic.
- Heat up olive oil in a Dutch oven or deep pan with lid, and sauté onions, carrot and celery for about 10 minutes until lightly browned and fragrant. Add minced garlic towards the end.
- Add thyme and rosemary, and stir for 30 seconds, then pour in the canned tomatoes, vegetable broth, and beans.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Take away 2 cups of the soup, blend with 1/2 cup of water until smooth, and add mix back to the pot. For a more “brothy” soup, omit this step.
- Add chopped kale, and simmer for a few more minutes. Season to taste with sea salt and black pepper.
- For the croutons, heat up olive oil, toast garlic until fragrant (set it aside and use it for another recipe), then toss bread in the garlic oil until browned. Top with some grated vegan parmesan.
- Serve soup with croutons, and enjoy!
Alex is a certified personal trainer and health coach from Germany, currently based in New Jersey, USA. A love for food and travel inspired her to share easy and delicious vegan recipes to
encourage people from around the world to eat more plant-based food.