RECIPE BY JULIA FROM @FLOURISHEDBYNATURE
This stew is perfect for days when you need something comforting and warming. The creaminess comes from blending half of the mixture with hemp seeds. Paired with a side of wraps, bread or nachos makes a quick lunch or dinner.
- BLACK BEAN STEW
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 12 celery stalks, cut into small pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 spring onions, cut into thin circles (white and light green parts only, keep darker green parts for garnishing)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste(or bbq sauce)
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 2 large handfuls of spinach
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp lime or lemon juice
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp chili powder
- TO SERVE
- vegan cream cheese
- pickled jalapeños
- chopped green parts of spring onions
- Sautée spring onions, celery and garlic cloves over medium heat for a few minutes until slightly soft.
- Add black beans and spices, and cook for a few more minutes. Stir-in chopped tomatoes and tomato paste. Stir and cook for about 10 minutes on low heat.
- Spoon out half of the mixture, and blend in a high speed blender until creamy with the hemp seeds, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Pour the blended mixture back into the pot, mix and stir through the spinach. Let spinach slightly wilt and season the stew to taste. You can add more salt, pepper or lemon juice if preferred.
- Divide between two bowls, and top with garnishes and serve with your favourite side like wraps, bread or nachos.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Hey there! I’m Julia, a music student based in Austria with a passion for creating plant-based food that nourishes your body, tastes delicious and makes you feel happy too. If you’d like to join me on my health journey, you are welcome to visit my website and stop by at my Instagram account!