RECIPE BY HANNAH SUNDERANI FROM @TWOSPOONS.CA
Here's an easy weeknight spaghetti recipe that's creamy, comforting, and loaded with veggies! The mushrooms are the star here. They lend a wonderful umami taste into the whole dish!
- 8 oz whole wheat spaghetti noodles
- 4 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 16 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 5 oz spinach
- 1/2 lemon (juiced)
- Start by bringing a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil to a large, deep skillet and bring to medium-high heat. Cook 1/2 of sliced mushrooms until browned, about 12 minutes. Transfer the mushrooms to a bowl and fry the second batch in the skillet using the same method, with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Pour all the mushrooms back into the skillet and add the garlic, shallots, thyme, and salt. Cook for a few minutes, until the shallots are softened.
- Add the flour to the mushrooms and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Then add the coconut milk and reduce heat to a low simmer. Add the spinach and lemon juice and cover with the lid to wilt the spinach. Keep the sauce on very low heat.
- Cook the spaghetti according to package instructions, until al-dente. Scoop the pasta out of the pot and into the mushroom sauce with 2 to 3 tablespoons of reserved pasta water to thin. Mix to combine and serve.
Visit @twospoons.ca for more delicious plant-based recipes.