Hearty, filling and comforting. This will be an amazing dish to serve in the cold weather.
- Coconut Oil, 1 tbsp (or any kind of oil)
- Tomatoes, 4
- Yellow Peas, 300 g (soaked overnight)
- Cumin, 1 tsp
- Bay Leaf, 1
- Cayenne Pepper, 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric, 1 tsp
- Coriander Seeds, 1/2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds, 1/2 tsp
- Ginger, 1 cm
- Onion, 1
- Garlic, 3 cloves
- Salt, to taste
- Rice, cooked (to serve)
- Green Asparagus (steamed, to serve)
- Peel the onion and garlic and dice finely. Wash the tomatoes and carrots and cut them into pieces. Grate the ginger.
Heat the oil in a saucepan to a medium level. Roast cumin and mustard seeds until the mustard seeds crackle. Now stir in the onions, garlic, ginger and turmeric and cumin. Saute for a few minutes, add the tomatoes and braise for about 5 minutes.
- Now add the peas with water together with the carrots and boil it (make sure that the ratio of water to peas is 2:1) and reduce the heat afterwards. Let everything cook for about 30 minutes until the peas are softer, stirring ocassionally. Add more water if necessary.
In between cook the rice according to the package instructions and wash the asparagus, and cut into strips. If the peas break down into a pulp you can now serve the dal in a Coconut Bowl
with cooked rice, steamed asparagus.
Marlena is a recipe creator and food photographer based in Berlin. She describes herself as a rainbow food stylist. All her recipes are vibrant and inviting which inspires people to eat healthier plant-based meals.