RECIPE BY SARA FROM @BETTERFOODGURU
Weekends are a time for rest and family. What better way to bond with them than to cook this amazing pasta dish that kids and adults will both like! There might be a lot of steps but it's surprisingly easy to make. So add this in to your schedule this weekend to enjoy an incredible meal at home.
- 1 lb jumbo shell pasta (cooked)
- crushed red pepper, for garnish
- fresh basil, for garnish
- TOMATO SAUCE
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp italian seasoning
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper
- 1 pinch turbinado sugar (or regular sugar)
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- CASHEW ARUGULA PESTO
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup cashew
- 1 lemon
- 8 oz arugula
- 4 oz basil leaves
- a pinch of salt
- MASHED POTATOES
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened plant milk
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt, to taste
- Sauté garlic, onions, crushed red pepper and Italian seasoning in oil until toasty and fragrant.
- Add crushed tomatoes, salt and sugar, bring to boil then lower the heat and simmer while the potatoes cook.
- In a blender or food processor, combine all ingredients until smooth and your desired consistency is achieved.
- Boil both potatoes until cooked through and soft.
- Drain then mash with butter, milk and spices.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large, oven-safe pan, pour 1 cup of the tomato sauce at the bottom. Spread to make sure that the sauce has covered the bottom of the pan.
- Dip the shells in the remaining sauce so they don't dry out.
- Fill each shell with mashed potatoes and place them in the pan until the pan is filled.
- Drizzle the remaining sauce on top of the shells, cover with foil and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top each shell with a dollop of pesto.
- Garnish with crushed red pepper and basil.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Sara is a Chef, a Mother of three, and a voracious eater of plants. She’s always been plant forward but since becoming vegan, helping others eat more plants has become her passion project. She share recipes to guide others on their journey to better health and happiness through food.