RECIPE BY MICHELLE CHEN FROM @run2food
Vegan teriyaki sauce is undeniably flavourful. It's great with vegetables, plant-based protein and noodles - we definitely recommend you to master this recipe at home!
- 100g udon noodles
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 stalks spring onion, sliced
- 1 red capsicum, sliced
- 300g mushrooms, sliced (I used combo of white button & shiitake)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- TERIYAKI SAUCE
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (or tamari)
- 2 teaspoons dark soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 tablespoon rice wine vinegar (or white vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch + 1 tablespoons water (cornstarch slurry)
- TERIYAKI SAUCE
- In a small saucepan on medium-high heat, combine the water, soy sauces, maple syrup, garlic & ginger. Bring to a boil, then add the cornstarch slurry & reduce heat down to a simmer. Cook, whisking as needed, until the teriyaki sauce is glossy & slightly thickened. Adjust seasoning to taste with soy sauce/water. Set aside.
- Cook the udon according to packet instructions. Drain & set aside.
- Heat up the oil in a wok on high heat, stir-fry the onions & capsicum for 3 mins until slightly tender. Add in the mushrooms + half the Teriyaki sauce & cook for a further 3 mins.
- Add in your noodles and the rest of the Teriyaki sauce, toss until all the noodles are coated in sauce.
- Stir-fry for a further 5-6 minutes. Add a splash of water every now and then, if needed.
Michelle is a Dentist and vegan food blogger from Brisbane. She loves sharing simple & tasty vegan recipes via her Instagram platform @run2food. She has also created a website with an archive of all her recipes www.run2food.com. Michelle is on a mission to show that you can thrive off a plant-based diet.