RECIPE BY SARA FROM @BETTERFOODGURU
Comfort food. It may mean different to some, but we do like a beautiful bowl of curry when we feel a little blue or under the weather! This recipe is perfect and easy and pairs well with Crispy Cauli Cakes!
- 1 pound dried split yellow peas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion medium sized, chopped small
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger peeled and minced
- 4 tomatoes chopped small
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 15 oz can unsweetened light coconut milk
- 1 cinnamon stick whole
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Put the yellow split peas in a large pot with a large amount of water. (You may need to keep adding water while it cooks, to make sure that all the water won't evaporate.) Keep it boiling while you prepare the other ingredients.
- In separate pan, sauté the onion, garlic and ginger in oil for 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are browned and fragrant.
- Add chopped tomatoes and tomato paste, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often until tomatoes release their juices and tomato paste is caramelized. Constanty scrape the bottom of the pan to make sure that the tomatoes don't burn.
- Add the coconut milk and spices, and bring to a boil, then turn down the heat, and simmer for 5 minutes until curry gravy thickens.
- Once the yellow split peas are cooked through, drain and place them back in the large pot. Pour in your coconut gravy and cook until the peas are soft. Stir often to make sure that there's no burning or sticking at the bottom of the pan.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Sara is a Chef, a Mother of three, and a voracious eater of plants. She’s always been plant forward but since becoming vegan, helping others eat more plants has become her passion project. She share recipes to guide others on their journey to better health and happiness through food.