RECIPE BY HANNAH OF NUTRITIOUS DELIGHTS
These healthy thumbprint cookies combine a soft and chewy almond cookie with a sweet berry chia jam that’s filled with fiber and nutrients. It’s vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free, and paleo friendly, but you can’t tell by the taste!
- Almond Flour, 2 cups (super fine & blanched)
- Salt, 1/4 tsp
- Maple Syrup, 1/4 cup
- Avocado Oil or Light- tasting Olive Oil, 1/4 cup
- Vanilla Extract, 2 tsp
- Cashew Butter, 1/4 cup
- Baking Powder, 1/2 tsp
- CHIA JAM
- Strawberries, 1 1/2 cups (sliced, use fresh or frozen)
- Fresh Lemon Juice, 1 tsp
- Maple Syrup, 1/2 - 1 tsp (optional)
- Chia Seeds, 1 tbsp
- CHIA JAM
- In a small saucepan, add the strawberries, lemon juice, and maple syrup. Bring to a boil then reduce to medium high heat. Mix occasionally and smash big chunks. Cook for 10 minutes, then mix in chia seeds and cook for 2 more minutes. Remove from heat and let it sit for 10 minutes to gel.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium or large bowl, whisk together the cashew butter, oil, maple syrup, vanilla, and baking powder. Fold in the almond flour. Roll into 1 tablespoon-size balls and place on the prepared pan. Make a hole with your thumb and fill with 1 teaspoon jam.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes (time varies with each oven). Let cool slightly and enjoy!
- If using frozen strawberries, be sure to defrost before measuring.
- You can use your favourite berries instead of strawberries.
Hannah is a food blogger and recipe developer behind Nutritious Delights. You can find lots of healthy recipes - sweet or savoury - by Hannah through the links below.