RECIPE BY MOON LAI FROM @FOODPASSIONICAL
Delicious, crispy spring rolls are the perfect light meal whenever you're craving some asian cuisine! The crunchy outer layer gives a satisfying crunch and the sweet sauce compliments the interesting flavours of the filling.
makes 15 spring rolls
- SPRING ROLLS
- 15 pcs spring roll wrappers, cooked
- 300g Jicama, cut into strips
- 100g french beans, roughly chopped
- 160g fried tofu, cut into strips
- 100g mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 shallots, sliced
- 1/4 cup roasted ground peanuts
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- lettuce, as needed (wash and drained)
- 1/4 cup fried crispy shallots
- 1 cup bean sprouts (blanched)
- SWEET SOYBEAN SAUCE
- 1/4 cup taucu (yellow soybean paste)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp thick caramel soy sauce
- 1 tbsp of cornstarch mix with 1 tbsp water
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- Mix all the ingredients in a small sauce pan and cook on low heat until sauce has thickened a bit. Set aside to cool.
- Heat oil in a wok, sauté garlic and shallots till fragrant. Add jicama, french beans, mushrooms, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sugar, white pepper and water. Cook with low heat for 25 minutes or till the jicama is soft and tender. Let it cool completely before use.
- Place one piece of the spring roll wrapper in a clean plate or chopping board, spread with 1 tbsp of sweet sauce. Place 2 pieces of lettuce, bean sprouts, carrots, crispy shallots, peanuts and cooked jicama. Wrap and fold up the end of two sides and continue to roll until the fillings are well covered with the wrapper. Fry or bake until golden brown.
- Serve with the sweet soybean sauce. Enjoy!
For more asian plant-based recipes, visit @foodpassionical!
Foodpassionical on YouTube